Wednesday, April 1, 2009

To Tan or Not To Tan?!?

In light of this new skin cancer issue I am dealing with, I am now faced with a new dilema. To tan or not to tan. We all know that the only way to make white, jiggly skin look better is to add a little color to camoflauge it. For those of you who know me well, you understand how much stress this is causing me. But for those of you who don't, I have been and avid sun bather for years (thus the skin cancer!!!). Not only have I spendt hours laying out by the pool or at the beach but I also regularly enjoy the tanning bed. Since my days of languishing in the sun have been extremely limited by the addition of my 3 children, I have found that I can achieve the same results in a fraction of the time at our local indoor tanning salon. Let's just say that I have spent lots of time and lots of dollars to attain the glow to which I have become accustomed.
I knew that this skin cancer was caused by too much sun exposure and that I would need to cut down on the amount of time that I spent baking my skin but I thought that maybe I could still use the tanning bed. I was sure that the UV rays couldn't possibly be as bad as those from the sun. So, as I am waiting for my surgery to start I proceeded to ask Dr. K about my future tanning needs. He shared with me that I would need to invest in some good sunscreen and a hat. I expected this answer and decided to go ahead and ask about the tanning bed. The conversation went something like this,
Gigi: "Dr. K, I understand about limiting my time in the sun, but what about the tanning bed."
Dr. K: "THE TANNING BED!!!"
Gigi: "Yes, sir"
Dr. K: "Not only can you get damage from the UV rays but you can also get SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES!!"
GiGi: "OMG! Really?"
Dr. K: "Yes, Really!"
Needless to say, I was disgusted. So here I am, pale, white and jiggly with no prospect to change any of these adjectives in my near future.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That sucks! STDs? I've been wearing undies in the bed since college, just so I could tell how much sun I got.
Guess you'll be joining me in the fakeatan club.

Beckie said...

But you are disease free - in all areas! That has to count for something!

Kristy said...

There is nothing "jiggly" about you so you can just show off your pale toned self and be proud! :)