Saturday, December 20, 2008

HONORED

I was honored to be one of the thousands at the Hartsfield International Airport on the Saturday before Christmas. I know you think I'm crazy using that word to describe how I felt at the busiest airport in North American on one of the busiest days of the year but that's the word, HONORED!

It had been quite a morning. My alarm went off at 5:00am so I could call Mouse and wake him up in his hotel room in Indianapolis. (Did you know that Hilton Hotels don't have wake up calls? It was news to me too :) I couldn't go back to sleep so I got up, showered and after a couple cups of coffee, wrapped a few gifts. Before leaving town, I had to see the 3W Attractions truck off and get gas. Then, it was off to the most miserable place on the planet. THE HARTSFIELD INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT the weekend before Christmas!! Can you imagine a more horrible place to be? Mouse was coming in from a business trip and we had planned to spend the afternoon finishing up our Christmas shopping. The drive to the airport was pretty uneventful but after arriving, I drove around the parking deck forever trying to find a parking place. I did happen to find one pretty close and then proceeded to walk into the Baggage Claim area. O MY GOSH!!!! I never imagined the airport could hold so many people. I pushed my way through to the waiting foyer and tried to find the best place to wait on Mouse. As I was looking around at all the people, I suddenly heard the crowd erupt in applause. I turned just in time to see two soldiers emerge from the breezeway. An older gentleman, with a USO apron on greeted them, shook their hands and pointed them toward a door. Before they were gone, the applause started again. This time, a man and woman jumped over the cording meant to divide the passengers from those of us waiting, and grabbed their son for a huge hug. The scene replayed over and over again as more and more soldiers came through that breezeway on their way home for Christmas. It didn't matter if it was one or twenty, the crowd applauded for everyone of them. Some were just passing through on their way home while others had family members there waiting to receive them home for the holidays. I wish I had words to describe the looks on their faces. Joy, ecstasy, pride don't even come close. As usual, I found myself crying. These people were experiencing something most of us have never felt. Certainly not me. Now I hope you understand why I was HONORED to spend my morning at the busiest airport in North America on one of busiest days of the year.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How wonderful! Your angel in heaven must be sending you all these wonderful experiences you've been having this Christmas season. You think?

Beckie said...

It makes me so excited to think that Jamie is just 5 weeks from home - I hope his greeting is as honorable!