Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Goodbye 2008!

As Mouse was leaving for work this morning, and passing out his usual good-byes he said, "Have a good day and remember, make the most of this one. It's the last for 2008." I find it so interesting how December 31 is such an important day for all of us. It marks the end of our calendar year, our fiscal year personally & corporate for many. But it is not these tangible ends that cause us to pause. It is the more emotional endings that are brought on by this last day of the year. I thought it would be good for me to take a few minutes and recollect what 2008 meant for me and my family.
In January, I left a job I had been working for more than 6 years. I was excited about my new venture but so sad to be leaving a place I had learned to love. We attended more basketball games than ever before. With all 3 W's playing, we were in a gym 2 or 3 days a week and several hours on Saturday.
February was full of basketball too as well as the start of Baseball season. We moved over to the Warner Robins American Little League. Home of the Little League World Series Champions. Between basketball and baseball, we did little else.
March brought a lot more events for 3W Attractions, Inc. We started getting into our busy season. We also celebrated several birthdays. Mouse, #1W, NeNe, and a big one for me. 40!!!
In April, Mouse and several of my Bunko girls and their husbands made a trip to Biloxi to celebrate my birthday. SO MUCH FUN!!! #1W and #2W tried out for a role in the play "Jack and the Beanstalk" put on by our community theater. #1W was the Fairy Godmother and #2W was Jack. It was a crazy time with baseball practice, games and play practice. Really put a lot of miles on the old Tahoe.
May always bring a craziness to our schedule only surpassed by December. 3W Attractions, Inc was out of control and between ball, field trips, exams and year end parties, we met ourselves coming and going. We also had a great visit from some relatives. They came to celebrate my mother's 80th birthday. We ended the month with 2 extraordinary performances of "Jack and the Beanstalk"
June was spent playing All-Star baseball, basketball camps, swimming, and more baseball and trying to adjust to no school. Most of us were loving life about right now.
July 5th, we left for Daytona. Our family vacation spot. We love it; can't say enough about it; wish I was there right now. We celebrated #2W's birthday at the beach. On the 18th, my Poppa died. It was the 200th day of the year. The day my whole world was shaken to the core.
August we were back to school. Missing Poppa. We helped Mouse's grandmother celebrate her 100th birthday. We made another one of those great trips to Biloxi. It was wonderful to get out of town for a few days. The end of the month we started, Cross Country, Football and Soccer. (Here we go again:)
September saw meets, games and matches all over Bibb and Houston counties. Lots of fun!! Missing Poppa.
October was a busy month. #3W celebrated his birthday, Mouse and I had our 14th Anniversary. More football and Soccer and of course Halloween. Halloween is the busiest night of the year for 3W Attractions. Missing Poppa.
November brought the Peanut Bowl, overnight camp trips, sleepovers and basketball tryouts. We also celebrated what would have been Poppa's 81st birthday. We missed Poppa. #3W was voted the Soaring Eagle for his class. Thanksgiving came and went. Trying desperately to be thankful. Another visit from family carried us into December. Only 2 weeks of school, Christmas parties and lots of shopping, is how we spent this month. My mother took the W's and me to see Scrooge at the Macon Little Theater. It was spectacular. #2W had a wonderful Christmas program at school. We decorated the most beautiful Christmas tree to date. Desperately missing Poppa. Were overindulged by our families with gifts. And here we are on the last day of December. The last day of 2008. As much fun as we had this year, I can truthfully say, I am glad to see 2008 go. I am hopeful that 2009 will be a better year for our business and our family. I hope it will be year of healing and peace not only for us but for our country as well. That is my prayer as we end 2008. I am looking forward to what 2009 holds.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You always make me cry. I guess my blogs for the laughs & yours is for the tears. :)