Wednesday, February 25, 2009

She Took My Breath Away

I had been struggling with making arrangements for the W's on Friday morning when I have my biopsy. I knew it would probably be easier for me to have them spend the night with family or friends so I would be assured they got to school on time and that no one had to wake up at the crack of dawn to be at my house and get them ready. But I also knew how concerned they were about me and I didn't want them to be with someone else on Thursday night when they wanted to be at home with me and Mouse. I thought about it so much my head hurt and I finally decided to just ask them what they wanted to do. So, on the the way to school Monday morning I asked them if they wanted me to make arrangements for them to spend the night off on Thursday night or stay at home with us. I explained that their daddy and I would be leaving very early on Friday morning and we could have grammy come to our house to get them off to school or they could go to a friends home on Thursday night. The boys didn't really seem to care. Their only concern was where they would be staying if they chose to spend the night off. But my daughter, the one who gives me the most grief, the whiner, the selfish one, shocked me with her response. She said, "What would be the easiest for you momma?" She took my breath away. I am crying now just remembering her sweet words. I know, we hope and pray that we are raising children who will be productive and successful adults. We also hope that somewhere along the way they learn to be caring and thoughtful individuals as well. I have witnessed a few such moments with the W's. An opportunity to share a toy or a kind word for friend but the moments seem few and far between especially when dealing with each other. I hope they happen more often when I am not around to hear. I was so proud of her and thankful for her caring heart. It gives me hope that we are doing something right.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes they can really surprise you.

Maybe she's just maturing.

I'm praying for you!

Amy said...

All of us know that you and mouse are great parents. Why is it that our children have to be grown before THEY realize it? Love y'all!